If your company deals with hazardous substances, make sure you take the correct precautions to ensure any spills are contained and managed. Today it is not only our duty to protect the environment, but also a legal requirement. Fines can also be very hefty, easily outweighing any cost to prevent the spill in the first place.
As an example, in November 2014, a waste oil processing company was fined $22,500 and legal costs because they failed to store liquid waste properly. This resulted in pollution to a storm water canal and local creek.
(link to fine http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/epamedia/EPAMedia14111403.htm)
No matter how careful we are, we know that spills and leaks will occur, so what to do? The best way is to install a secondary containment liner. These liners capture any spills and minimize risk of contamination to the environment as well as reducing costly cleanups.
At Fabric Solutions Australia, we specialise in all types of liners, including chemical and liquid bund liners that are specifically made to prevent spill contamination or pollution. Secondary spill containment liners, which are sometimes called berm liners, are used for the containment of liquids and gases thereby preventing contamination or pollution of the environment. They are used for the containment of spills and leaks, most commonly hydrocarbons and other potentially harmful chemicals that need to be managed correctly.
Our secondary containment liners are designed and used as a solution, both for the permanent or temporary containment of liquids or gases that may be potentially hazardous to the environment. Many different polymeric materials are used depending on the chemicals or contaminants involved. These include materials such as PVC, polyethylene, polypropylene, and polyurethane and others. FSA stocks materials that are suitable for the containment of many different liquids and chemicals. At Fabric Solutions Australia, we can produce secondary containment liners to suit almost any application or situation. If you are looking to buy liquid bund liners, contact FSA today.
Secondary Containment Applications:
- Spill containment
- Oil and gas industry
- Wash down applications where contaminated water must be collected
- Truck and car wash bays
- Routine servicing of vehicles and plant equipment
- Drive-on drive-off fuel transfer bunds
- Contamination prevention for a range of products
- Plant and equipment, such as generators, pumps or compressors
Main Features Secondary Containment Systems:
- Depending on application, materials can be chemical and fuel resistant, oil and fat resistant or acid or alkali resistant
- Sumps, collection or sampling points can be fitted as required
- Can be custom made to whatever size and shape required
- For use in almost any terrain
- Protective groundsheets and covers also available
Material Options For Secondary Containment Applications:
- Reinforced PVC (RPVC)
- Elvaloy, Aeon®” XR3® and XR5®
- Polyethylene (PE)
- Reinforced Polyethylene (RPE)
- Polypropylene (fPP)
- Reinforced Polypropylene (RPP)
- Polyurethane (TPU)
FSA are able to match materials to usage requirements.